Top 11 Spiritual Musical Instruments for Sound Healing
Welcome to a carefully crafted list of 11 spiritual musical instruments for sound healing and meditation.
One principle mentioned in the hermetic book The Kybalion is that everything in existence is of vibratory nature or in other words, everything is vibration. I talk about the musical value of that principle in more detail in the email course of my newsletter (subscribe in the top right corner).
With that in mind it is of no surprise that music and musical instruments are an integral part of spiritual ceremonies. Studying physics one learns that resonance is the phenomenon of reinforcement or prolongation of sound by reflection from a surface or by synchronous vibration. If the human body is a vibratory system then utilising resonance can be a means of influence or potentially healing the body.
Traditional culture knew that intuitively and used musical instruments to alter mental states, heal or communicate with spirits. We in the west begin to open up to the healing powers of spiritual musical instruments more and more which can be seen in form of countless sound healing therapies sprouting in north America and Europe. Hopefully this trend will keep on growing. May this article be a little push in that direction. I hope you’ll find inspiration and healing through sound.
>>Follow the spiritual / healing music I compose on YouTube<<
The Singing Bowl
Singing bowls, also known as Tibetan singing bowls, have a mysterious past and not much is known about their origins and history. Some historians postulate that a similar kind of technology which dates back 5000 years originates from Mesopotamia. Other say that the singing bowl is a direct successor of the metal bell which can be traced back all the way to the Shang dynasty of China (16th–11th centuries BCE). In the 19th century Tibetan singing bowls firstly got spread around the world. During a Chinese invasion Tibetan monks were forced to sell their possessions, including the sacred bowls and flee.
Use in Sound Healing
Tibetan singing bowls are used in spirituality as an aid to practice concentration of the mind. In the more esoteric traditions singing bowls are used for chakra healing ceremonies. Furthermore, singing bowls are facilitated in sound massages for their strong resonating and calming qualities.
Low Price Singing Bowl
- Includes Antique Design 4" Singing Bowl, NEW Easy-Play Leather Pencil-Grip Striker, NEW Hand Sewn Non-Dampening Pillow. Play your singing bowl with EASE & create a LONGER LASTING beautiful sound with our NEW EXCLUSIVE designs.
- Hand selected & inspected to ensure the best quality. Each set is checked against defects & sound quality before shipping.
- Creates a beautiful peaceful calming & relaxing sound when tapped or played around the rim. Perfect for when you want time to yourself to relax or meditate.
- Makes a perfect gift for any friend or loved one. Frequently gifted by many of our customers to friends & family. Something they will truly love.
Crystal Singing Bowl 432Hz
- 432 hz SET of 3 CHAKRA CRYSTAL SINGING BOWLS - Frosted quartz crystal singing bowls are the easiest to play! Includes B Note Crown Chakra 8 inch, D Note Sacral Chakra 10 inch, F Note Heart Chakra 12 inch
- EXTRA ITEMS INCLUDED - 3 gray suede mallets, 3 O-rings and guides for each chakra included
- HAND TUNED HIGHEST QUALITY - Each bowl is hand tuned and tested to ensure precision quality sound. This set is 432 hz scale tuned. They sing with a beautiful, clear, deep, and rich vibrational resonance with the power to heal!
- CHAKRA HEALING - The frosted crystal bowl is the easiest to play. Gently run any of the included mallets around the rim to make your bowl sing - anyone can play it! These powerful vibrations work to open and balance the associated chakra to encourage deep healing
- Hand Hammered Chakra healing Tibetan singing bowl - set of 7. This is a set of seven gorgeous chakra singing bowls. Each bowl is for different chakra and sings in a different note (a,b,c,d,e,f &g) to align with the chakra it primarily affects. • They affect the Chakras in ascending order starting from Mooladhara, Svadhisthana, Manipura, Anahata, Visuddha, Ajna and Sahasra. Each set has been carefully hand selected to ensure the quality of sound produced.
The existence of the gong dates back all the way to the Bronze Age, around 3500 BC. The main gong producing areas were believed to be Burma, China, Java and Annam. The uses of the gong at the time were means of communication, signals for the beginning of a ceremony, meditation and healing.
Use in Sound Healing
Similar to singing bowls gongs are valued for their sacred qualities. As mentioned before, the gong is a signal for the start of a meditation session or ceremony. It is also used to calm the mind. Some people belief that the complex overtone structure of a gong has a strong healing effect on the body through resonance. Touching a gong is believed to bring good luck, health and happiness.
Table Top Gong 12”
- Classic Zildjian Gong sound
- Partially lathed front and rear
- New, specially designed tabletop stand and mallet
Chao Gong 17 3/4”
- Handcrafted Quality, Value Priced
- Satisfaction Guaranteed! 30-Day Return Policy!
High End Symphonic Gong
- Gongs Unlimited strives to make your gong buying experience great! Contact us with questions.
- Musicians, Businesses and Sound Healers - We help everyone.
- We've been selling gongs and related instruments since 2005. Work with the experts who care.
- Each item is checked, cleaned, and wrapped before we ship.
We are often so occupied with the outside that we forget that what we are actually looking for is on the inside. The same could be said about sound healing and spiritual musical instruments. The most powerful healing instrument might still be your own voice. It is the gateway to your soul. It communicates emotions and your state of being and it is intimately connected with your whole body. When we hear a pure voice singing it touches something deep within us and we sight or even cry. That already is healing!
There are many ways to use your own voice for healing. Through projection and resonance, you can stimulate vibration in different parts of your body to relief energetic and emotional blockages. Similarly in many traditional cultures overtone singing is used as a spiritual ritual. Overtone singing can work as a very powerful tool for vibrational recalibration, in other words, a way of re-programming our physical, mental and emotional bodies with a more harmonious and natural patterns.
The Healing Power of Sound
- Mitchell L. Gaynor MD
- Publisher: Shambhala
- Edition no. 1 (08/13/2002)
Origin and Healing Powers
During the Roman empire wind chimes, then known as tintinnum, were made of bronze and were hung in gardens, courtyards, and porticoes. The movement of the wind caused them to tinkle and the celestial sound was believed to ward off evil spirits. Wind chimes found the same purpose in 2nd century India were they would hang on the corners of huge Pagodas. Many people associate chimes with heaven as the high pitched sounds breeze above all other sounds.
Besides the ability to ward off evil spirits wind chimes have a relaxing and calming effect on the brain and are therefore a frequently used instrument in spiritual ceremonies.
Large Wind Chime
- Tuned to the opening notes of Amazing Grace, one of America's best loved and widely known hymns
- Cherry finished ash wood, 6 silver aluminum tubes
- Length: 40" Overall chime length is measured from top of gather ring / knob to bottom of wind catcher
- Amazing Grace Chime - Large is one of the most popular Woodstock Chimes; beautifully weather finished, provides years of pleasure in garden, home or as a gift
High End 55” Wind Chime
- Made in the USA!
- Hand-tuned to the scale of G.
- Overall length of chime is 55".
- Made with 2" diameter aluminum tubes. Length of longest tube is 34.5".
The didgeridoo is a traditional musical wind instrument of the Indigenous Australians of Nothern Australia. It was developed by the Aboriginals roughly 1500 years ago. Even though there are many different names for the instrument in tribal languages, the onomatopoetic expression “didgeridoo” is frequently used by all locals.
Use in Sound Healing and Spirituality
In tradition, the didgeridoo was primarily played as an accompaniment to ceremonial dancing and singing. The didgeridoo is used in sound healing in two ways. On the hand, the player falls into a meditative hypnotic state through the circular breathing pattern and the vibration of the instrument. Likewise, this spiritual musical instrument can have healing effects on the listener. The drone like quality of the playing and the low vibrations enchants everyone who is open to listen.
Lightweight Beginners Didgeridoo
- Individual inspection and testing - we won't sell it if it doesn't sound good.
- 45.5" tall, 1.5" wide - perfect for the beginner looking for a lightweight, easy to play didge.
- Hand crafted with synthetic and natural materials. More durable than wood or bamboo, weatherproof, and lightweight.
- Contoured mouthpiece, sized for easy playing, and dipped in dark beeswax for a good seal
Didgeridoo from black JUAR WOOD
The Tuning Fork
Origin and Healing Powers
The tuning fork was invented in 1711 by British musician John Shore, Sergeant Trumpeter and Lutenist to the court. As one could see the human body as a vibrating object the tuning fork can be used just as much to bring the physical body in tune as a musical instrument. Tuning fork therapy is a wide spread sound healing practice. A purposefully tuned fork is placed onto different spots of the body to balance the physical, emotional or energy body.
528 Hz Tuning Fork
- Delivers clear tone, longer sound and accurate tuning.
- A soft bag storage and a piece of cleaning cloth to protect the tuning fork.
- 528 Hz tuning fork part of Solfeggio Tuning Fork for Healing. High grade aluminum.
- Helps to reduce stress. Can relieve joint pain and stiffness.Reduces inflammation, meditation and relaxation.
8 Chakra Tuning Forks
- Weighted Chakra & Soul 8Pc Healing Colored Tuning Forks
- Includes Velvet Pouch & Mallet/Activator. Key for Weights
- Prongs physically move in a bigger motion, thus when the stem end is placed on the body, you can physically feel the vibration more and also feel the vibration at a deeper level
- WEIGHTED tuning forks are excellent to use individually with the stem placed on the body or by toning above & around the body
The Hang Drum
Origin and Use as a Spiritual Musical Instrument
The hang (drum) is a very young spiritual musical instrument. It was firstly built in 2003 by the Swiss duo Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer. Since then it has gained worldwide popularity due to its soothing meditative sound and unique look. The hang is often found in spiritual contexts mainly because of it’s calming, relaxing and meditative sound qualities.
- Handpan hand drum steel drum handmade instrument
- Fast Shipping by FEDEX - Delivery within 7 business days . Hanging bag included . You will receive a handpan with a special protection for the notes of the instrument (already included in the final price) .
- I guarantee : 100% quality control . Checked overtone metal sound . All notes have excellent resonance vibration . Each note checked with a tuner - minimum possible fluctuations .
- I have sold over 120 handpans until now with great reviews so please feel free to order from me . WHOLESALE IS AVAILABLE , PLS FEEL FREE TO CONTACT !
- MULTI-TOUCH SUPPORTED: You can play your Pyle pan drum instrument either with the included steel drums pan mallets or with your fingers.
- TRAVEL BAG: Included with your purchase of the handpan drum comes a handwoven bag that makes travel and portability easy. Bring your drum with you wherever you go. Reuse bag as a purse or mini backpack.
- PORTABLE: The tongue drum steel is compact, making it the perfect instrument to travel with, whether to a drum circle, gig or practice with friends. Drum size is 8 inches in diameter and 5 inches in height and weighs only a little over 3 pounds.
- EASY TO PLAY: Start where you are with this steel drum. No musical background needed, just bring a sense of exploration and yourself. You can play with the rubber topped mallets included or simply with your hands.
Origin and Use in Sound Healing
The monochord is an ancient scientific and musical instrument, invented in Greece in c. 500 BC, used for the investigation and demonstration of musical phenomena like intervals and beatings. Pythagoras, the forefather of our current musical system, explored harmonic relations using a monochord. In modern times the monochord is found in sound therapy sessions and is used for meditative purposes. Similar to the principles described above the vibrations of a monochord can have a relaxing and healing effect on the human system. The long sustain and subtle beatings of the multiple strings of a monochords are ideal concentration objects for meditations.
The Monochord Session
The drum has been part of human culture for thousands of years. The oldest found artefacts of the drum-like instruments date back to 5500 years BC. Those were dug up in China but other drums were found all over the planet. Humans utilised the drum in different context like spiritual ceremonies, warfare, signalling or rowing.
Use in Sound Healing
Dancing to a drum beat can induce trance-like states of consciousness as the movement and the focus on the repetitive sound bypasses the rational mind. In shamanic tradition in particular the drum is used for spiritual healing ceremonies. Not only aurally but on a tactile level does the drum effect the human body with it’s low frequencies and repetitive loud attacks.
The Buffalo Drum
- Remo E1-0316-00 Buffalo Drum - Standard, 16"
The Native American Drum
The ocarina is an old ancient instrument. The first known ocarina-like instrument appeared ~12000 years ago. Ocarina-type instruments have been of particular importance in Chinese and Mesoamerican cultures. They were often shaped like animals and especially birds. A Chinese variation from around 5000 BC is egg-shaped and was known under the name Xun.
Spiritual Value of the Ocarina Flute
The ocarina was used as a means to honour gods and spirits but also to communicate with birds and other animals. The high-pitched pure sound of the ocarina flute can have trance inducing effects on people. In the Zelda video game Ocarina of Time the ocarina was an instrument that held special powers like teleportation and time travel.
The Ocarina of Time
- 🎵 ALL-IN-ONE: Comes with neck-strap cord,a music book,a display stand, and a protective bag
- 🎵 WELL-CRAFTED: Beautiful, accurate craftsmanship with tri-force symbol
- 🎵 GREAT MATERIAL: Made from kiln-fired ceramic with a beautiful and durable glaze
- 🎵 BEAUTIFUL SOUND: Fully chromatic ocarina can make beautiful and natural sound
Ceramic Chinese Xun Flute
- Material: Pottery clay. Pitch range: from low 5 to high 2 ( when fully pressed as 5)
- Holes: 8. Grade: professional
- Type: pear type. Temperature for baking this xun: above 1000 centigrade
- Packing: quakeproof with bubble pack. Accessories: pouch,salver and fingering chart of xun
The Mbira (Kalimba)
The mbira is an African idiophone and lamellaphone that dates back thousand of years. The tines were originally made of bamboo but in more recent times metal has been the choice of material for the lamella. In the 1950 the mbira was the basis for the development for the modern westernised kalimba which is a popular instrument of choice for young and old.
Mbira in Meditation and Sound Healing
In Zimbabwean tradition the spiritual ceremony Bira is held to welcome the spirit of a deceased relative back into the family. Special songs, accompanied by the mbira are played to connect to and invite the spirits. In modern days the kalimba is often a welcomed instrument for meditative music. Playing the kalimba has a relaxing and trance inducing effect on the musician as well.
- 24 metal squarish keys
- Particularly good tone to it with decent sustain
- Solid Mukwa hardwood bolted construction. Pre-stained Soundboard
- Compare this to other mbiras online retailing for over $200
The Modern Kalimba
- Made by solid mahogany resonance boxand and carbon steel keys, to make sure the sound is better.
- So easy to use, you just need to use two thumbs play to make a great sound
- Small size and come with a portable bag for easy carrying and storage.
- 1(D), 2(B), 3(G), 4(E), 5(C5), 6(A), 7(F), 8(D), 9(C4), 10(E), 11(G), 12(B), 13(D), 14(F), 15(A), 16(C6), 17(E), international standard C tune
[…] musicproductionhq.com […]
[…] and throughout the Jewish community. According to Robert Weinger, a shofar expert, it is a “spiritual instrument” that symbolically releases God’s voice from the horn of a kosher […]
[…] year of Rosh Hashanah, serves as an emotional reminder of the significance of both. The shofar is a spiritual instrument in Judaism that connects those who hear it to the holiness of the day. Furthermore, it serves as a […]