20 Small Musical Instruments for Travel <50$
Are you dreaming of a traveling the world, visiting far away countries and magical beaches? Yeah, me too! If you are like me, you probably don’t want to be disconnected from music for too long. How can we solve this dilemma? Small musical instruments that fit in your handbag? Perfect idea! Imagine, you sit on the beach with new and old friends sipping a Piña Colada. You reach for your backpack and forth comes a …
The ukulele is probably the most common small musical instrument for travel. It’s good for accompanying your voice in songs and it just gives you the summer vibes, “somewhere over the rainbow …”
- Kala Ukulele, known for high-quality instruments, is the most recognized and sought after ukulele brand in the world
- Kala ukuleles are played by some of the most renowned players around the world including: Twenty One Pilots, Vance Joy, and Zac Brown. Scale Length: 13.625 inches
- Kala ukuleles are the instrument of choice for schools - more people learn to play on a Kala than any other ukulele brand
Are you a Zelda fan? I am a Zelda fan! This instrument has potentially a high wow factor if you have nerdy friends. You’d impress me pulling a ocarina out of your pocket on the beach, for sure.
- ALL-IN-ONE: Comes with neck-strap cord,a music book,a display stand, and a protective bag
- WELL-CRAFTED: Beautiful, accurate craftsmanship with tri-force symbol
- GREAT MATERIAL: Made from kiln-fired ceramic with a beautiful and durable glaze
The melodica clearly isn’t the most romantic out there, but it’s a great melody instrument for solos. I’ve seen a couple of jazz musicians improvising recklessly on a melodica and since then I see this instrument in a different light.
The thumb piano or kalimba is beautiful sounding instrument, perfect for the dreamy mood on a summer beach night. It’s easy to learn so give it a try.
- Beautiful Sound, Different Kind Of Melody: This Product is Dedicated in Sound Quality - Bright, Perfect Echo and Delay.
- Use Top Quality Instrument Wooden Material to Ensure Perfect Effect: [ Kalimba Body:Mahogany Tone Wood] + [ Keys: Carbon Steel ]
- Professional 17 Keys, Playing coordination and rythmn together. A traditional instrument originated in Africa, even pluck it can make sweet sound.
The instrument of the lone wolf, the harmonica, sets a melancholic mood and if you are into that a romantic vibe of untouched wilderness. It’s easy to learn the basics but mastering it can be quite tricky.
- German craftsmanship provides superior response, bendability and tone
- Precision molded plastic comb for unmatched comfort and durability
- Recessed reed plates and airtight design for consistently excellent performance
- Favorite among rock and country players as well as blues musicians
The recorder? That’s a children instrument! We all remember our first recorder lesson in first grade but don’t let that make you underestimate this instrument. I once wrote a composition for a virtuoso recorder player who truly brought this sound to the next level.
- ��PREMIUM QUALITY SET: Classic recorder. Durable and lightweight. The most complete set on Amazon.
- ��EASY TO CLEAN: Comes with a cleaning cloth, wand and brush to ensure the care of your instrument.
- ��COMPACT and TRAVEL FRIENDLY: Great to take on camping trips, road trips and even in your backpack to use during music classes or practice during recess.
- ��LEARN MUSIC: Great starter instrument. Helps with development skills and teaches hand/eye coordination.
The mandolin, probably the most suave instrument on this list. Not as easy to learn but definitely worth it if you want to get the extra wow responds on your travels.
- 8-string traditional A style Mandolin in glossy Sunburst finish
- Maple top, back, sides and neck. Adjustable compensated Rosewood bridge
- Adjustable Truss Rod inside the neck - wrench included
- 20 silver nickel frets. Chrome plated open gear tuners and tailpiece
Pocahontas loved it: The pan flute. The earthy dreamy sound of the pan flute sets the perfect mood for a campfire get-together. Not difficult to learn and light on the pocket.
You have my respect if you actually pull this one off. Carrying around a tiny trumpet and actually mastering it isn’t something we see every day. It’s not cheap but if you are serious about it, surely worth the investment.
- Nickel plated Bb pocket trumpet with 7C mouthpiece
- 0.46 inch bore and 3.75 inch bell, comfortable white faux mother of pearl inlaid buttons
- Phosphorus copper used on lead mouth pipe (found on expensive trumpets) & smooth action valves
- Includes: Cecilio 92-D chromatic tuner, case, bottle of valve oil, soft polishing cloth, & a pair of white gloves
The Glockenspiel is one of the most pure and heavenly instruments I know of. If you are into that kind of vibe you might want to acquire a Glockenspiel for your next holiday trip.
- 25 metal bars for a wide note range, perfectly tuned.
- The plates are made of high quality aluminum alloy and steel alloy, durable and exquisite.
- Plates are fixed on base stably, won't fall off or slide randomly.
- You can also use the handles instead of heads of the plastic mallets to get a much softer sound for practicing.
Kids instruments are actually cool, ok? At a certain point childish things go full circle and become hip again. That’s the case with this lovely instrument which brings you lots of lols and wows.
- Seventeen button design along with eight bass buttons and one air valve.
- Help to develop the children's musical talent, improving their sense of rhythm.
- This music toy is just the right size for young hands.
- With an adjustable strap for easy carrying and protection.
Be honest. You didn’t even know a compact didgeridoo existed before this now, did you? How cool is that? Maybe not the most romantic small musical instrument but it puts you in trance and only god knows what happens then.
- At 8 1/2" tall and made of Mahogany, the Meinl Travel Didgeridoo is small in size but big in sound
- An internal baffle directs air through a zigzag channel, turning it into an impressive drone note with harmonic overtones that enables the traditional Australian didgeridoo sound to be heard
- Its compact design makes it the perfect instrument to take on the road or to the studio without taking up too much space
- This instrument is also great for practice, self meditation, and useful as a tool to learn circular breathing
It’s just fun to play the mouth harp and it fits in your pocket! You don’t even need a bag. Maybe you can’t entertain people with it for more than half an hour but well … did I mention it’s very cheap?
- Master: Pavel Potkin one of the most famous Jew's Harp masters
- Features: original quality, clear sound, easy to use tool, made in Altai
- Material: brass, steel, array of cedar, leather cord
- Size: 67x30x5 mm
If you are into Asia and exotic sounds, then the bamboo flute is probably your pick. If you wear a Kimono you get extra points.
- Especially suitable for beginner
- This bass flute contributes to high durability and wonderful tone
- The piccolo flute material : natural Bitter Bamboo (More than 3 Years Old)
- The flute wooden is hand carved in China by the agile craftsmen who painstakingly took very long time to create this piece just for you
The heavenly harp does have a smaller sister, the melody harp. Perfect for on the road, this instrument is portable and fun to play.
- PLAY BEAUTIFUL MUSIC INSTANTLY: Anyone can play the music maker regardless of experience! Simply slide a song sheet in the player and pluck the strings and you are a musician.
- HANDMADE ARTISAN QUALITY: Made of ash and specially selected hardwoods. Because it is handmade, each Music Maker is unique. There is no other in the world exactly like it
- INSTANTLY ENJOY THE MUSIC YOU CREATE: Includes 12 songs, pick, tuner and spare wire. Comes tuned for immediate enjoyment! A wide variety of additional song sheets are available
- WONDERFUL FOR THERAPY AND TEACHING: In schools, nursing homes, hospitals, rehabilitation centers...and in hundreds of thousands of homes across the world the music maker is bringing joy
A deep genuine glance into the eyes and a tune on a concertina, what more could a lover ask for? This small musical instrument is part of the free reed family like the accordion but it gives you extra points for rarity and tradition.
Another instrument for the lols. The American slide whistle probably won’t land you a date but it’s portable, cheap and pretty pretty hilarious.
If you are not really musical but you still want to contribute to the fireside jamsession, maybe the nose flute is your pick. Please don’t mention you got this idea from me. 😉
- Export Use - Inspection and Refurbishment by Japanese Hand
- Best Nose Flute - Compared with Made of Plastic, Sound is Bigger Volume, Timbre ans Softer.
- Several Melodies - More than 2 Octave Range to Output
- Rose Wood Material - Play Longger, Wood Taste Comes Out.
The last small musical instrument for today is the easy to learn kazoo. It’s often used by comedians due to it’s funny sound.
- THE ORIGINAL BLUE KAZOO is ultralight weighing less than 0.8oz with canvas bag. It is corrosion resistant & easy disassembly for cleaning.
- MADE FROM METAL Includes anodized aluminum-bodied Blue Kazoo, zippered natural canvas bag, carabiner, plus two (2) extra kazoo membranes.
- PORTABLE, EASY TO CARRY with dimensions 1" x 4.75" (canvas bag 2" x 5.5"). Carabiner can we used to attach the canvas bag holding the Kazoo.
- EASY TO PLAY Literally, the easiest instrument to play. Just hum (don't blow), and there's sound... or even music?